Thursday, April 8, 2010

Mr Agnihotri with Kochin Wu




Today I read Hindi pretty well.Thanks to Agni. It will sound strange to lots of people seeing that I was born and bred in UP. However, the how and why of it is a long story but the fact that I've progressed so much in the last three years, at an advanced age at that, is because of late Mr Agnihotri. Agni as he was called by his colleagues and the boys was a great master. I don't think it would be wrong if I said he was eccentric in a admirable way. He was humorous, was a natty dresser and rode a bicycle those days that suited his lanky frame. People in suits and ties even rode bicycles. I was surprised, and happy, when I heard some years later that he had married and had kids. His son is a master in the Mart.

1 comment:

RBB said...

I too can vouch for the teaching ability of Agni - the fond pseudonym we gave Mr Agnihotri. A genius at teaching a classful Anglo-Indian boys who were not interested, he used every method in the book (and many from his own book...) and he got us through!

His reputation for being a hard man with students who mocked him are folklore amongst old students. Ranjit Singh and Michael Hayde will probably testify to this :)

We all had a scrape-up with Agni at some time or another...

I too had 'a close encounter of the Agni Kind'

Whatever.... he was by far the very best of the teachers we had and Georgie, like you, I have a fair ability to read Hindi as well as write and its all due to this great teacher we had.

May God bless his soul and may his son turn out as good a man as his dad