Thursday, January 29, 2009

A Stray Pup

As some people turn older they start doing strange things. I guess everyone does strange things but some don't see them as strange. One reason may be the link between `strange things' and getting old.
Now recently I moved into this category. I started feeding a stray pup. So what's strange about that? Well I started cooking food for the pup. Oh, I've also liked animals - dogs and cats - but I never wanted to make a habit of feeding them on the roadside for a number of reasons. One of those reasons is I didn't want to become (seem) crazy like the Late Marie Doyle and my late aunt-in-law Mavis Gomez or Jackie Joachim. Jackie still cooks for the stray dogs in our colony. Then my late mum and dad also fed roadside dogs. Years ago one stray came home to stay with us. She turned out a good dog and lived several years. I don't want that happening again.
However, this pup was abandoned near a school gate and was surviving on a few morsels thrown by some feeling-hearted children. This is wonderful because people don't have much feelings even for human beings leave alone animals. 
Well, about 10-12 days ago I started cooking meat and rice  with a tomato thrown in for taste for this pup. I even went on Sunday and Republic Day to feed it. And as can be expected this miserable  looking pup is looing so much better and is now very lively. I don't want to keep this up I hope to stop feeding it as soon as it is able to fend for itself. But I afraid of the attachment. Let's see what happens. 
 

1 comment:

Namita Chandra said...

I have a cousin in Mumbai who has been feeding stray cats for almost a year now and a sis-in -law who goes out everynight to feed stray dogs in Chembur area of mumbai for the last 3-4 yrs. Dogs are more faithful then cats definitely